The linking of peace with womens human rights is not a new concept. Since the late 19th century, women activists connected the need for an organized peace keeping system with the protection of womens civil rights.
1) Peace as an Early Womens Issue Essay with primary source illustrations.
2) Womens Ways of Peace: Samples from History Lesson using examples of womens action through songs, art, demonstrations and quotes.
3) Bertha von Suttner: Bertha von Suttner in 1905 became the first female recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize. In 1889 her book, Lay Down Your Arms, detailed the effects of war and problems of extreme nationalism.
4) Womens International League for Peace and Freedom (1915 - ) Historical background of this seminal organization.
5) Peace X Peace Platform for women around the world to share their experiences, actions and insights.